Skip to Main Content
How to Find Restaurant Reviews
A good place to conduct your research for food/restaurant reviews are through the WCC Databases. Many restaurant reviews are published in newspapers and journals, which are often behind paywalls if you search the web.
Consider the following search terms when doing a general search for a restaurant review:
- "food review"
- "restaurant review"
- "food writing"
For more specific reviews, you might at a location (e.g. Hawai'i), a type of cuisine (e.g. Haitian), or the name of the chef or restaurant. If you like the writing style of a particular food writer, you might also search their name in the "author search."
Newspaper Source Plus
Domestic and international news from over 1,200 full-text newspapers, articles from news magazines and newswires, and transcripts from television and radio news.
Academic Search Complete (EBSCO)
This is a large, multi-disciplinary collection of mostly full-text magazine, newspaper, and journal articles on a wide array of subjects. It's a great place to start for almost any topic.
Articles, books, primary sources, images, and research reports in the arts & sciences, sustainability, security studies, life sciences, and literature.
In addition to searching newspapers for restaurant reviews, the following food-related Journals may also contain reviews. Search for "restaurant review" within the Journal website:
Johnathan Gold (Los Angeles Times, LA Weekly, Gourmet)
- "Man Bites Prawn" LA Weekly, October 7, 1998 (Link / PDF)
- "Pie's the Limit," LA Weekly, October 7, 1993 (Link / PDF)
- "Crullers that bloom in Spring," LA Times, March 21, 2007 (Link / PDF)
- "Two Guys Walk Into A Bar," LA Weekly January 15, 2004 (Link / PDF)
For more of Gold's review, search the LA Weekly for "Jonathan Gold" or "Counter Intelligence" (column name).
Ruth Reichl (Los Angeles Times, The New York Times, Gourmet)
- "Restaurants; A New Le Cirque, the Same Old Magic." The New York Times, Oct. 1, 1997 (Link)
- "Dislike Anchovies? Here's Why You Should Give Them a Second Chance." Town & Country, Feb.28,2021 (Link)
- "Three Guys Who Are Grills." New West Magazine, March 24, 1980 (Link)
- "Clues in the Cranberries: Thanksgiving Trimmings May Seem Straightforward, but to Food Sleuth Ian Dengler, They Give Away your Origins." Los Angeles Times Magazine, Nov. 24, 1985 (Link)
For more of Reichl's reviews, search Muck Rack for "Ruth Reichel." If you have access to New York Times, search her name there.
- "Don't Eat Before Reading This." The New Yorker, April 12, 1999 (Link)
- "Here's Anthony Bourdain's Foreword to Marilyn Hagerty's Book 'Grand Forks.' Eater, August 19, 2013 (Link)
- "Obama, Bourdain Chew the Fat in Hanoi." CNN Travel, March 21, 2017 (Link)
- "How Anthony Bourdain Came to Be Anthony Bourdain." Bon Appetit, June 8, 2018 (Link)
Bourdain is primarily known for his novel, Kitchen Confidential, and his TV series, No Reservations. For more reviews, do an author search for "Anthony Bourdain" in the database, Newspaper Source Plus.
Tom Sietsema (Washington Post)
- "Gordon Ramsay Gets Half of It Right at His Fish & Chips at the Wharf," The Washington Post, November 29, 2022 (Link / PDF)
- "Minnesota chef Karyn Tomlinson makes Midwest hospitality irresistible," The Washington Post, November 9, 2022 (Link / PDF)
- "A $50 Manhattan? Welcome to the Era of the 'Unguilty Pleasure.' Record Patriot, January 23, 2023 (Link)
- "Restaurant Service Has Taken a Hit in the Pandemic." Portland Press Herald, February 27, 2022 (Link)
For more reviews, do an author search for "Tom Sietsema" in the database, Newspaper Source Plus.
Brett Anderson (The Times-Picayune)
- "Black Chefs Aim to Restore New Orleans's Hidden History." The Virgin Islands Daily News, February 21, 2023 (Link)
- "Beef is a Problem. This Seattle Steakhouse Wants to Be Part of the Solution." Seattle Times, October 25, 2021 (Link)
- "Where New Orleans meets Alabama: Fisher's at Orange Beach Marina." The Times-Picayune, May 22, 2019 (Link)
- "Pot Roast Just Like Grandma Used to Make." The Record (Waterloo, ON), April 6, 2016 (Link)
For more reviews, do an author search for "Brett Anderson" in the database, Newspaper Source Plus, with the limiter "Find only FULL TEXT items.
Windward Community College Library • 45-720 Keaʻahala Rd. • Kāneʻohe, HI 96744
Content: Windward Community College Library