Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Your Research Question
What can be done to make public K-12 education in Hawai'i more effective?
Education Reform Topics
View some ideas listed in: Sifferlin, Alexandra A. "How To Make Schools Better For Kids." Time, 7 Sept. 2015, pp.36-37.
Morel ideas from Wikipedia on "Education Reform."
- Longer school day or school year
- After-school tutoring
- Charter schools, school choice, or school vouchers
- Smaller class sizes
- Improved teacher quality
- Improved training
- Higher credential standards
- Generally higher pay to attract more qualified applicants
- Performance bonuses ("merit pay")
- Firing low-performing teachers
- Internet and computer access in schools
- Track and reduce drop-out rate
- Track and reduce absenteeism
- English-only vs. bilingual education
- Mainstreaming special education students
- Content of curriculum standards and textbooks
- Funding, neglected infrastructure, and adequacy of educational supplies
- Student rights
Honolulu Civil Beat: Education
Honolulu Civil Beat is the largest news outlet dedicated to public affairs reporting about Hawaii. Our focus is on investigative and watchdog journalism, in-depth enterprise reporting, analysis and commentary that gives readers a broad view on issues of importance to the community.
US West Newsstream
Articles from newspapers, news wires, and news sites from AK, CA, HI, ID, NV, OR, UT & WA with coverage from the 1980s through the present.
A large collection of citations and full-text education-related scholarly and non-academic materials, including journal articles, research reports, curriculum guides, and instructional resources.
Professional Development Collection
This subset of Academic Search Complete contains education-related journals & reports.
Teacher Reference Center
Articles and abstracts from education-related trade publications and journals.
Contemporary Issues Databases
Points of View Reference Center
Overviews, point and counterpoint articles, primary sources, and more on hundreds of contemporary issues and current events.
Windward Community College Library • 45-720 Keaʻahala Rd. • Kāneʻohe, HI 96744
Content: Windward Community College Library