Skip to main content
WCC Business Databases
Business Source Complete
Detailed company profiles, scholarly and trade journal articles, industry reports, country reports, market research, and SWOT analyses. Updated daily.
Small Business Reference Center
Periodical articles, sample business plans, U.S. tax forms, videos and reference books and more. Intended to support small business owners in planning, financing, managing a business.
Preliminary Company Research
As you begin your research, focus on some preliminary facts. Knowing these will help you in locating information:
Is the company is public or private?
What relationship(s) does it have to other companies.
- Is it a division of a larger company?
- Owned by another company?
- Does it have divisions of its own?
- Does it own other companies?
What names or codes refer to the company.
- Variant names
- Registered name
- Doing-Business-As name(s)
- Ticker symbol
Has the company been in the news?
Interviewing an Expert
Contacting the Expert
- Call or email. Politely inform the person that you're a college student doing research for a presentation, project or paper, and that you hope they might have a few minutes to talk with you about your topic. Have your calendar on hand as you set up your appointment. Now is a good time to ask if they'll mind if you bring a recording device along.
Before the Interview
- Prepare a few questions. You might start with their name (including spelling) and position title. Have a few focused, open-ended questions.
Conducting the Interview
- Strive to have a conversation. People like to talk about what they know, but don't appreciate getting drilled.
After the Interview
- Thank your interviewee, and ask if you may contact them again if you have any further questions.
- Write down what you learned and flesh out your notes as soon as you can.
- Send a thank you card or email.
Public Library Databases
The Hawaii State Public Libraries provide access to several business databases:
Log in to the Hawaii State Public Libraries' Databases with your public library card number. Some databases will also require your public library PIN (usually your phone number).
Windward Community College Library • 45-720 Keaʻahala Rd. • Kāneʻohe, HI 96744
Content: Windward Community College Library