Skip to main content
Local Research Collections
Interviewing an Expert
Contacting the Expert
- Call or email. Politely inform the person that you're a college student doing research for a presentation, project or paper, and that you hope they might have a few minutes to talk with you about your topic. Have your calendar on hand as you set up your appointment. Now is a good time to ask if they'll mind if you bring a recording device along.
Before the Interview
- Prepare a few questions. You might start with their name (including spelling) and position title. Have a few focused, open-ended questions.
Conducting the Interview
- Strive to have a conversation. People like to talk about what they know, but don't appreciate getting drilled.
After the Interview
- Thank your interviewee, and ask if you may contact them again if you have any further questions.
- Write down what you learned and flesh out your notes as soon as you can.
- Send a thank you card or email.
Windward Community College Library