The Library at the University of Hawaii Windward Community College
The Library Research Units
Why Do the Library Research Units?
- To save time and hassle by improving your ability to find good information fast for any reason
- To meet a course requirement for English 100
What’s This All About?
Unit One: Library
Tour, the Catalog, & Call Numbers:
- Where to find things in the WCC Library
- Library policies
- How to find items in the UH Libraries
- How the library arranges books
Unit Two: Using Electronic Resources
Three: Finding and Evaluating Internet Resources
- Good search strategies.
- Finding magazine & journal articles
- Finding quality information online
- Evaluating information sources
- Citing information from the Web
Do the Library Self-Guided Tour – Pick up the yellow booklet in the rack near the front door, and follow the numbers around the Library to read about its resources, services, and policies. You can check out a booklet from the Circulation Desk to take home, but do take the tour. It takes 10 -15 minutes.
Note: Distance Education students have the option of completing
Login to the Library Research Units (LRU) on Laulima – Go to http://library.wcc.hawaii.edu (the WCC Library home page) and click on the LRU Quick Link. Login with your UH username and password.
Go through the study guides – Begin with module 1.2 (Call Numbers). Read the module and do the practice exercises. Return to the LRU home page and work through the next module.
Take the Unit 1 Exam – Find the link on the LRU home page.
- You have 60 minutes from the time you begin to complete 15 questions.
- You need to get at least 10 out of 15 points for credit.
- You can take the exam twice, initially, with a no wait between attempts.
- If you need another chance, ask a librarian to review the exam with you. The librarian will then re-release the exam to you (repeat as needed).
- Only your highest score counts.
- Do Units 2 and 3 – Each has study guides and an Exam, just like Unit 1.
- If you have questions or technical issues, see a librarian or call 235-7338 during open hours.
- Your instructor will set the deadline(s) for you to complete the Library Research Unit.
- Librarians keep your scores on file for 3 years.
- If you did the Library Research Units in the previous three years, a librarian will transfer your scores.
to the Top
WCC Home Page | WCC Library Home Page
Updated Jan. 24, 2012 by Tara Severns