The Windward Community College Library has laptop computers which can connect to the wireless campus network. This policy outlines the responsibilities that individuals accept when they check out a laptop computer from the Windward Community College Library.
Eligible borrowers are students, faculty and staff of Windward Community College who:
- Can show a current, validated Windward Community College ID (available at the Student Activity Center, Hale ‘Ākoakoa room 232, ph: 235-7395), Hawaii Drivers License, Hawaii State ID, Kingdom of Hawaii ID, or a Military ID.
- Do not owe $10 or more to UH system libraries.
- Have read this policy and agreed to its terms by signing a WCC Laptop Borrower’s Agreement.
- Laptops may not be reserved in advance.
- Laptops must not leave the library building.
- Laptops may be checked out for up to 4 hours; loans may not be renewed.
- Laptops must be returned to the circulation desk 15 minutes before the library closes each day. They may not be kept overnight.
- Overdue fines are charged at a rate of $1.00 per hour or fraction thereof.
- A borrower is responsible for the laptop checked out to his/her account and will be assessed repair and/or replacement costs for any loss, theft or damage of the laptops in addition to fines and processing fees.
- Replacement costs: PC: Laptop, $850; AC adapter, $50; Battery, $100. Mac: Laptop, $1,500; AC Adapter, $80; Battery, $130.
- All users must abide by the Libraries of the University of Hawai'i System Circulation Policy, Revised September, 2005, the UH Policy on the Use and Mangement of Information Technology Resources, and the Windward Community College Library Computer and Audiovisual Equipment Use Policy.
Laptop users are expected to exercise reasonable care and must take the following precautions:
- Safeguard the laptop at all times; never leave it unattended.
- Close the screen securely when transporting the laptop as the screen can easily damage.
- Save all work to your directory on the capus network, a flash drive, or to the cloud. Any files saved to the laptop may be erased upon logging off or shut down. The Library is not responsible for any lost or damaged files.
- Return the laptops directly to the staff at the Circulation Desk.
- Immediately report malfunctions and unusual programs, software and files to Circulation Desk staff.
- Use the AC adaptor whenever possible to extend the battery life.
- Do not add, delete, or change any programs, applications, files, screen savers or bookmarks.
April 08, 2013, updated October 11, 2013.