- The magazine from the United Nations Educational Scientific
and Cultural Organization. The WCC Library keeps issues from June 1998 to December
- NPQ: New Perspectives
- A magazine on current world affairs. The current and previous
issues are available to read online. The WCC Library keeps issues for the current
year plus a 5 year backfile.
- This magazine that translates and reprints news stories
from international media. A selection of articles from the current issue are available
online. The WCC Library keeps issues for the current year plus a 5 year backfile.
- Current History
- This journal covers current world
affairs. Articles are not available online. The WCC Library keeps issues for the
current year and all issues on microfilm from the year 1980.
- World political and economic news. Online check out the
by Subject, the Backgrounders,
the Country Briefings, and some
current articles. In the WCC Library, you will find issues from the current year
plus a three year backfile.
- Selected articles on world events from both the
current and back issues are available online. The library has paper issues from
1998 on, and microfilmed issues (under the title UN Chronicle) from 1980.
- US News & World Report
Articles on business, education, politics, etc. US focus with some world coverage.
Many current and past articles are available online.
National and international news articles. Many current and past articles are available
online. Print issues kept for the current year, and on microfilm from 1980 on.
- Time Magazine
on current events, including politics, business, etc. US focus with some world
coverage. Many current and past articles are available online. Back issues kept
for the current year and on microfilm from 1980 on.
- This online magazine has pro & con articles on contemporary issues
and current events, from mostly a European point of view.
- A publication from the International Foundation for Election Systems on election information and results.
- The New York Times
- Archives from a long standing, influential American newspaper.
Links to full text articles available via the Web. Citation links can help you find more articles similar to one you like. Access may be free, free with login, or cost money. Take citations to a WCC librarian, who will help you track down free versions.
Encyclopedia of U.S. Foreign Relations. REF E 183.7 .E53 1997
A multivolume set of medium to long signed articles on countries, political
movements and parties, individuals, etc.
- Historic Documents. Online, or in the Reference Collection: REF E 839.5 .H57 2000
- This publication gatherings together
important documents, including excerpts from reports, speeches, court rulings,
announcements, and statements. To use the print version, check the index in the back of the most recent volume
to find material in previous volumes. To use the online version, login with your UH ID number and last name.
The Oxford Companion
to Politics of the World. REF JA61 .O95 1993.
- Medium to long
articles on international relations and politics including entries on concepts,
treaties, types of government, events from history, organizations, and important
issues in politics, economy and society.
Encyclopedia of Nationalism.
REF JC 311 .S5484 1990
- 1-2 page articles on nationalism, including
articles on nationalist efforts by certain countries, ethnic groups, social classes,
Also includes articles on important leaders, philosophies, and historic events.
Encyclopedic Dictionary of Marxism, Socialism and Communism.
REF HX 17 W54.
- Short articles on the concepts, people, organizations
politics, and historic events related to these ideologies.
of the World. REF K3157 .E5M33 1995.
- This doesn't provide the
text of the constitutions. Instead, it provides general information about each
country's constitutional history, mentions the influences around the creation
of a constitution, lists the fundamental rights and division of powers granted
by the constitutions, describes the executive legislative and judiciary bodies
set up the the constitutions, and discusses constitutional amendments.
Worldmark Encyclopedia of the Nations. REF G63 .W67 1995.
systematic description of countries, arranged into volumes by continent (with
one volume dedicated to the United Nations).
of the World. REF JF 37 .P6 1999
- Basic facts about each country
with focus on the governments and political developments.
Graham, Judith, ed. Current Biography Yearbook REF
- A good source of biographical information about prominent
people, including world leaders and politicians.
The Europa World
Year Book. 2 vols. London: Europa. Annual. REF JN1 .E851
detailed articles on countries of the world, with a focus on government.
Almanac 2000 with Information Please. REF AY64 .I55 2000
basic information about different countries
- U.S. Bureau of the Census. Statistical Abstract of the United States. REF HA202 .U58
mostly generated by governmental agencies.
- Search Engine for US federal and state websites.
National Public Radio
- Radio news stories on current events.
BBC World Service
- Radio news broadcasts news from a British perspective
- International TV news stories from a British perspective
"Metavid ... seeks to capture, stream, archive and facilitate real-time collective [re]mediation of legislative proceedings."
Election Resources on the Internet
- In addition to links to websites, this site provides basic information on political parties, the election process, and election results for many countries.
- Globalization Research Center (Hawai'i)
- Project reports and searchable links
page to specific groups with global perspective
Librarian's Index to the Internet: International Governments Topics
- Selected links to online information on Foreign national governments.
Political Science Links
- Links collected and maintained by the University of Hawaii Libraries
- CIA World Factbook
- Detailed information on each country.
Thomas Legislative Information
- This site gives access to current and past legislation, the Congressional
Record, and to information on House and Senate Committees.
- Congressional Research Tutorials
- Short Flash video tutorials, on finding bills, debats, hearings, etc. Also see the "What's going on in Congress right now?" area for current events.
Think Tanks and Public Interest Organizations
- A listing of directories, as well as many well known individual groups;
Political science links
Links collected and maintained by the University of Hawaii Libraries
- Selective Guide to Political Sites
- By Rich Muslin.
Political Resources on the Net
- Links to online sites, arranged by country.
Resources for Writing
- Research topics, news sources, organizations,
online databases, search engines, grammar help, and more.
Go to links for the Evaluating Sources exercise.
courtesy of the U.S. Department of State
Page updated 3/.4/08 by Tara Severns