Chalker, Sylvia and Edmund Weiner. The Oxford Dictionary of English Grammar. New York: Oxford, 1994. WCC REF PE1097 .C47 1994
Crystal, David. The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1987. WCC REF P29 C64 1987
Hartman, R.R. and F. C. Stork. Dictionary of Language and Linguistics. London: Applied Science, 1972. WCC REF P29 H34 1972b
International Ecyclopedia of Communications. New York: Oxford, 1989.
WCC REF P87.5 .I5 1989 v.1-4.
International Encyclopedia of Linguistics. William Bright, ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 1992.
WCC REF P29 .I58 1991 v.1-4.
Martin, Samuel E. A Reference Grammer of Japanese. New Haven: Yale, 1975.
WCC REF PL533 M28
The Oxford English Dictionary. 2nd Ed. New York: Oxford University, 1989.
WCC REF PE1625 .O87 1991
Pei, Pario. Glossary of Linguistic Terminology. Garden City, NY: Anchor, 1966.
WCC REF P29 P39
The Linguistics Encyclopedia. Kirsten Malmkjær, ed. New York: Routledge, 1991.
WCC REF P29 .L52 1991
The Oxford Companion to the English Language. Tom McArthur, ed. New York: Oxford, 1992.
WCC REF PE1087 .O9 1992
McWhorter, John. H. The Story of Human Language. Chantilly, VA : Teaching Co., 2004.
WCC Main DVD 317 P140.M39 2004d
McCrum, Robert, William Cran and Robert MacNeil. The Story of English. New York: Viking, 1986.
WCC Main PE1075 .M58 1986
McCrum, Robert, William Cran and Robert MacNeil. The Story of English. Chicago, IL : PMI/Films Incorporated, c1982.
WCC Main PE1075 .S7 1982 Pt 1-9
MacNeil, Robert and William Cran. Do You Speak American? New York: Doubleday, 2005. WCC Main PE2808 .M26 2005
Find other books, videos, sound recordings, etc., in the UH Libraries with the Hawaii Voyager Catalog.
Use Academic Search Premier from EBSCO to find magazine and journal articles.
You might also try Google Scholar, though many articles it links to are either for sale or unavailable. The good news is that an article you find a referece to in Google Scholar may be available through the WCC Library's subscription databases. See a librarian to get help in tracking down promising articles.
- The Linguist List
- An extensive directory of online linguistics and language informationresources.
- Merriam-Webster Online [Dictionary]
- Based on the Mirriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary. Thesaurus, and pronunciation sound files.
- Proto Indo European Language Demonstration and Exploration Website
- Uses words for counting, animals, etc. to "examine some of the evidence for the past existence of the Proto Indo-European language, based on common words in the languages found in and around Europe and India".
- Ulukau: The Hawaiian Electronic Library
- Includes several Hawaiian, Hawaiian-English, and Hawaiian place name dictionaries.